Consolidated Edison Company of New York Customer Central header image

Customer Central

Translate the page

special services

We recognize that some of our customers, including senior citizens and people with disabilities, need special attention. That’s why we offer a variety of free services that make life a little bit easier.

Click here for a copy of our Customers With Special Needs brochure, which contains the Application for Special Services.

Click here for a copy of our Safety for Special Customers brochure, which contains our Life-Support Equipment/Medical Emergency Survey.

You can also obtain copies by calling 1-800-293-5680.

If You Speak Spanish   If You Have a Permanent Disability
If You're Blind or Visually Impaired   If You Use Life-Support Equipment
If You're a Senior Citizen   Home Energy Assistance Program
If You Have a Medical Emergency   Customer Outreach
Third Party Program   We Guarantee It!

If You Speak Spanish

We have Spanish-speaking representatives who can arrange for you to receive your bills with messages printed in Spanish. We also have brochures in Spanish about many of our programs and services.

If You Are Blind or Visually Impaired

We can supply bills in large type or Braille to blind or visually impaired customers. Simply call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) and ask a Customer Service Representative to enroll you in this free service.

If You're a Senior Citizen

We think seniors deserve special treatment, so we offer a number of services for customers age 62 and over. These services include:

Quarterly Billing Plan: If your Con Edison bills are less than $420 a year, you can arrange to receive bills once every three months rather than once a month. We'll continue to read your meter monthly, although you'll receive bills only four times a year--in March, June, September, and December.
CONCERN Program: As a CONCERN customer, your questions will be answered by a specially trained representative. He or she can tell you about government aid programs, provide safety tips, and explain ways to save money on your energy bill. CONCERN customers receive Con Edison's popular newsletter, SPOTLIGHT, free of charge. Enrollment in the CONCERN Program is free and confidential. Just call us, toll free, at 1-800-872-8846.

If You Have a Medical Emergency

We understand that it's sometimes difficult for people to pay their energy bills when faced with medical emergencies. We'll do everything we can to make sure your service stays on. For example, if you are hospitalized for 10 days or more, let us know. We can arrange to give you an extra 30 days to pay your bill. The Medical Emergency form can be found at /csol.

Third Party Program

You can choose a relative, friend, or organization to receive a notice from Con Edison if your bill is overdue and your electric or gas service might be turned off. The third party is not responsible for paying your bill, but may be able to help resolve the problem. The Third Party Program can be especially helpful if you are ill, elderly, live alone, or travel frequently.

If You Have a Permanent Disability

You, too, are eligible for our CONCERN Program. To enroll, contact us and ask for the Special Services application. Fill out the application, attach a copy of your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income award letter and mail it to the Con Edison office for your area.

If You Use Life-Support Equipment

If you or a member of your family use life-support equipment, please contact us. This way, we know that you'll need special attention in case of an emergency. We'll also work with you to keep your service on even if you are having trouble paying your bill. The life-support equipment form can be found at /csol.

Home Energy Assistance Program

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps income-eligible people with their energy bills. New York City residents should call the Human Resources Administration (HRA) HEAP Hotline, 1-800-692-0557, or the HRA Infoline, 1-718-557-1399. New York City residents age 60 or older who received a HEAP grant last year will automatically be contacted by the HRA again this year. If you are age 60 or older and did not receive a HEAP grant last year, call 1-800-692-0557 to obtain an application, or apply through the New York City Department for the Aging by calling 311. Westchester County residents should call the Department of Social Services, 1-914-995-5619.

For more information on the HEAP, visit

Customer Outreach

Many customers have told us they would like to learn more about saving money on energy bills and about Con Edison's programs and services. We created the Customer Outreach Department and staffed it with Outreach Specialists called Advocates to address this need. The Advocates can talk with your civic, social, religious, professional or other group at its next meeting. There's no cost. To schedule a presentation to your group, call the Outreach office at 1-800-293-5680.

We Guarantee It!

Under the We Guarantee It! Program, we are backing up our commitment to service excellence with our guarantee. Under certain circumstances, you may receive $50, which will be credited to your account, if we fail to visit when we promise or if we turn off your service in error. Our representatives can provide details.



contact us   |   search   |   careers   |   site map   |   consolidated edison, inc.   |   privacy policy